Friday, February 20, 2015

A blueprint to follow

For this week I have been concentrating mostly on reading my new sources, due to there being quite a few of them. As I mentioned last week the main purpose of getting my new sources was to create a new blueprint for me to follow. I have not been able to go through all of them this week since there are nine of them and they are not short reads either. Many of the new sources have to do with Florida cemeteries which is very helpful and it gives me an idea of what I will be seeing. In most of the sources the biggest thing that I noticed while reading them was the process of getting iconography (the visual images and symbols used in a work of art or the study or interpretation on these). One of the journals that I read this past week that gave me the biggest incite into this was by Johan Liebens, not only did it have to do with a cemetery in Florida, but the mapping that he did helped me to understand where I needed to go. In his paper he extensively maps out a cemetery in Pensacola and uses a program to do it called GIS. He was able to record his findings into a database and could edit it with the GIS program and put in different filters for what he needed. Although I will not be going to the extent that Liebens goes to I will need to put my findings into a spreadsheet database so it was helpful to read how he mapped out the cemetery and put it into his database. Another thing that I had mainly been doing this week if trying to find a book on Florida History. At first I did try to find one myself, but the ones that I was looking for was not the right time frame or I just could not get it through most means other then buying. Normally I would take the time to get it myself because I know I can eventually get a copy of what I need, but I am running on deadline. So instead I messaged a UCF professor specializing and Florida History and asked if he could recommend me a good book. They got back to me right away and I was able to find it, just currently waiting to get it through the inter library loan. From just the title of the book it seems like it will be helpful, because it is good to know what was happening at the time. This is because if their are any major changes in iconography during a certain time it is good to check what was going on in the area at the time. This is whether their had been any changes in Florida economy, social, religious changes, etc. With next week coming and my midterm evaluation coming up, my main focus will be finishing up the journals and papers on the list below. Another thing I hope to get done with at least half way would be the book on Florida History. Then hopefully the next faze of my internship will be starting where I will be doing the field work portion. Being able to go around to different cemeteries and practicing what I have been researching  all this time will be a challenge, but one that I am looking forward to. 


Sources I am using for as of late:
- A Study of Duval County Grave Markers
by Lucy Ames Edwards
- Gone but not Forgotten: Wakulla County's Folk Graveyards
by Sherrie Stokes
- Graveyards and Social Structures
- Map and Database Construction for an Historic Cemetery: Methods and Applications
by: Johan Liebens
- Necrogeography in the United States
Published by: American Geographical Society 
- Cemetery symbolism of prairie pioneers- gravestone art and social change in Story County
by: Coleen Lou Nutty
- Under Grave Conditions; African American Signs of Life and Death in North Florida
by: Robin Franklin Nigh
- Using Cemetery Data to Reconstruct Immigration and Migration Patterns: St. Michael's Cemetery, Pensacola, Florida
by: Sarah Elizabeth Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment