Friday, February 6, 2015

Working on my CV and continuing research

This week I have been given the project of starting on my CV, as well as continue working on my research. What I had learned was a CV is similar to a resume, but instead focuses on what you know and have done throughout your career and studies. Since I have until next Wednesday to turn in my first draft of if this week I have been focusing on reading other people CV's mainly ones that are in the field that I want to follow. The biggest thing that I noticed when I gathered them is the amount of effort each person put on their CV each one was impressive and well written. It at first made me feel intimidated, I felt I simple do not compare. Then I remembered I am still in a learning process and will one day make it to that level of excellence through hard work and diligence. Through this internship I will be able to add something to my CV when I create it and will keep adding to it. Along with working on my CV as I have stated before I am continuing my research of journals on iconography (the visual images and symbols used in a work of art or the study or interpretation on these). In my past blog I have mentioned that I was facing some difficulties finding journals in this subject area, as of late it has been getting easier and I found two more to add to my growing number. However research is never an easy and I have found a new hurdle to overcome which is trying to find journals that do not talk about puritan tombstone iconography. I have found many journals this week, but many of them were about the same subject, and that was puritan tombstone iconography. By far the most interesting thing I found was an old sears catalog from 1902 that sold tombstones, monuments, tablets and makers, I am not sure what to make of it. It is a semi long document and I gathered it just yesterday so I have not gotten a chance to fully read it yet so I only skimmed it. After I finish reading it I will be sending it to my internship supervisor to see what he thinks. We have mentioned looking up old sears catalogs that sold these types of things, but I am not sure if I found a good one, or how I will be able to incorporate it into my research if it is a good find. This is something that I will get back to on my next blog post hopefully it was a good find and I am hoping to find more and in the same great shape as this catalog since it is a full catalog and was easily accessible. Sometimes the hardest part of finding papers is not finding them, but getting them, sometimes I find a good one, but I have to go on various sites until I can even get a pdf copy. I have come to learn that I genuinely enjoy doing research.


Two new sources I have gathered thus far:
-The Face of God: Puritan Iconography in Early American Poetry, Sermons, and Tombstone
CarvingAuthor(s): Lynn HaimsSource: Early American Literature, Vol. 14, No. 1 (Spring, 1979), pp. 15-47
-A Key to the Kingdom: The Iconography of a Mourning Picture
Author(s): Anita SchorschSource: Winterthur Portfolio, Vol. 14, No. 1 (Spring, 1979), pp. 41-71
Sears Catalog: 
-Special catalogue of tombstones, monuments, tablets and markers. (1902) Sears Roebuck & Co. Chicago, Ill.



No comments:

Post a Comment