Friday, March 6, 2015

Data Template

I had mentioned in my last blog that this week I as given an assignment due on Tuesday to create a spreadsheet through excel of how I will be recording my data when I start my field work. So far in my spread sheet I will have different sections where I will write the information, name, date of  birth and day of death, iconography (what symbolism is on the marker), marker types (cement, granite, etc.), whether they are male or female, along with a photo of the grave that I will hyper link in etc. This will be instrumental in organizing my data, this way when I create my deliverable poster I will have everything organized. The point of the poster is to answer a research question that I will create when I get to the field work portion, and to better answer that question; organizing my data is key. When I get to the field work portion I will post pictures to give an example of how I am putting in the data after I see the marker, it will make much more sense after I get pictures. The other thing that I have been working on is finishing up on my last bits of reading from the papers and journals I had to go through. At the bottom of the page is the full list of journals, articles and book that I will be using throughout my internship most of them I have gone through and read the only exception is the New History of Florida because I had just gotten it as of yesterday after it finally became available via library. I did request it using the inter library loan but it was taking too long and I needed to get started on outlining the book. So far what I will be looking at will be population, the Indian removal act, seminal wars dealing with the relocation of settlers, urbanization, and soldiers being sent to train in Florida during WWII etc. All of these changes in what is going on in Florida at the time can affect a cemetery especially its iconography. So going over the book and outlining these key changes in Florida History will be my main priority in these next coming week before I get started on the field work portion of the internship. I will not by any means be reading the entire book, that would take much too long, but I will read in depth about the things I will be outlining (mentioned in the above sentences). Surprisingly when I started to read a few paragraphs I realized that I regrettably do not know much about Florida history. I am aware of what was going on in the United States at the time as a whole, but not specifically of what was going on in Florida due to policies that were created, urbanization, civil war, etc. The last time I had to learn about Florida history specifically was in the fourth grade in social studies class and much of what I learned was till 1865. So I think this book will be a great asset to me when I collect my data, this way I know what changes occurred and what it means in reference to the tombstones. 


Sources I am using for as of late:
- A Study of Duval County Grave Markers
by Lucy Ames Edwards
- Gone but not Forgotten: Wakulla County's Folk Graveyards
by Sherrie Stokes
- Graveyards and Social Structures
- Map and Database Construction for an Historic Cemetery: Methods and Applications
by: Johan Liebens
- Necrogeography in the United States
Published by: American Geographical Society
- Cemetery symbolism of prairie pioneers- gravestone art and social change in Story County
by: Coleen Lou Nutty
- Under Grave Conditions; African American Signs of Life and Death in North Florida
by: Robin Franklin Nigh
- Using Cemetery Data to Reconstruct Immigration and Migration Patterns: St. Michael's Cemetery, Pensacola, Florida
by: Sarah Elizabeth Patterson
- Gravestone Iconography and Mortuary Ideology
by: Frederick J.E. Gorman and Michael DiBlasi
- The Historical Archaeology of Mortuary Behavior: Coffin Hardware from Uxbridge, Massachusetts
by: Edward L. Bell
- Death's Heads, Cherubs, and Willow Trees: Experimentral Archaeology in Colonial Cemeteries
by: Edwin Dethlefsen and James Deetz


Books:
- In Small Things Forgotten
by: James Deetz
- The New History of Florida
Edited by: Michael Gannon


Sears Catalog:
-Special catalogue of tombstones, monuments, tablets and markers. (1902) Sears Roebuck & Co. Chicago, Ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment