Friday, April 3, 2015

Data Input

This week has been a busy so far I went and finished up the cemetery I was working on last Friday and got every grave accounted for. Instead of writing the information down on paper I decided to put to the test my idea of taking a photo of each grave. I must say that was a great idea, not only did it save me time, bu the pictures have more detail in photo then me looking at them with my eyes. It also is good for not having to look at others handwriting and wondering what they meant to say. The way I went about with the photos was with a partner. My significant other would take the photo while I would prep the next few graves. I would also sometimes have to clear out some ant piles that were on top of the graves in order to get all of the information. As well as dig up piles of dirt from a grave that had begun to get buried under inches of dirt so that all the information was readable through photo. After I had finished with Oakland Cemetery it was time to put in the information into excel, I have yet to finish all of it due to multiple things I have been working on this week, but I am close to being done. So far I have noticed similarities between markers and that in this particular cemetery most of the markers are either granite, cement, metal, or marble. Interesting about the marble is that it was almost all exclusively military men and all of the had a cross referencing them as Christians. Most likely this coming Monday I will be going to another cemetery to collect more data. I will try to get to as many cemeteries as possible so that I can gather a well rounded information. This way I can see what are the similarities between cemeteries and what are their differences. I especially want to see if their is a difference between urban and rural cemeteries.

This is me prepping the next grave, so that a detailed photo can be taken with all of the information with nothing being covered.

The other thing I have been working on is the beginning stages of my poster, so far I am writing rewriting some early draft paragraphs for weeks earlier. Making it more for an academic setting, when I wrote it the first time I made it a bit to blogger oriented and it did not sound academic enough. I am also working on my CV and updating it with the things I have been doing for the internship, my internship supervisor was kind enough to give me his as an example of how it should sound and look. So busy things this week and I am excited to get to the new site and start working on collecting much more data. This coming week will be just as busy for me with various things needing to get done so I am optimistic and awaiting the challenge. I do know that the next grave site we will be going to will not be as organized as this one was, I am hoping that it will still be easy enough to follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment